Sunday 12 August 2007

Clonakilla Viognier 2005

And I don't even like straight viogniers.

When I tasted this wine at cellar door, I knew it was pretty special, although it's hard to evaluate a wine this good during a brief tasting. I bought a few bottles and the first, shared with my vinous mates from (at that time) Seattle, confirmed the initial impressions. I'm having my second bottle tonight.

The thing with this wine is that it manages to avoid any hint of broadness or vulgarity, despite the inclinations of viognier as a grape. Instead, it's a full, intense, complex white wine. There's a sort of powdery, high toned vanilla sheen that provides a glossy, glamorous entry into this wine's substantial apricot/lightly tropical fruit flavours, as well as a line of the finest acidity that runs through the wine from start to finish. Lovely viscous, slippery mouthfeel that lends extra substance to the wine. It really is gorgeous.

I never know what to pair with viognier, so we had this wine all by itself.

No comments: