Thursday 4 October 2007

Tyrrell's Vat 5 NVC Shiraz 2004

Bought two of these at cellar door a few months ago. I remember it smelling incredibly barnyardy, which is why I bought a couple.


This bottle has nowhere near the same level of pong. Colour-wise, it's dark and red/purple but not terribly dense. Quite beautiful. The nose, surprisingly, is muted, with soft fruit and earth characters wafting gently upwards along with subtle oak influence. The palate is where the action lies. It's light to medium bodied, with a clean yet slightly rustic mouthfeel. The fruit flavour is of the utmost purity and lightness, and most deliciously there's this sweet dirt/earth character that for me is the core of the wine. The label mentions that this character is specific to the vineyard (this is a single vineyard release). I would be curious to know if there's an element of residual sugar there. If not, it's quite remarkable. A fresh, delicious, almost bistro-style wine that I could drink litres of. I love it.

I have tasted the 2003 several times and enjoyed it very much, although it's a denser wine. It has the same sweet earth flavour as the 2004, along with richer fruit and more weight.

No comments: