Thursday 21 June 2007

Tintara Shiraz 1998

I keep expecting these wines I'm dragging from the cellar to be corked or faulty, but I seem to be having a good run so far.

I bought this wine years ago in Canberra as I wandered through a large wine shop in one of my periodic buying frenzies.

A very dense purple red colour. Initially on the nose, a clean burst of concentrated blueberry fruit was pretty dominant. I've been swirling a bit, though, and a real complexity of flavour is developing, mostly oak-related. The fruit is still lovely and clean, but there are well integrated spice and mocha flavours too. Some alcoholic sweetness at the edges.

The palate is similarly concentrated and lip-smacking, and the wine has a clearly defined structure. Tannins are present but not overwhelming by any means (they will probably melt away as I tuck into my steak in a few moments). This wine is generous and attractive in its flavour profile, and not unsophisticated in its own way. This is the sort of big red wine that I enjoy.

No comments: