Friday 29 June 2007

Tyrrell's Moon Mountain Chardonnay 2006

Cheap chardonnay -- those two words strike fear into the hearts of many. But I'm open minded, especially where a bargain is to be had. Plus, I've really enjoyed the Vat 47 so obviously Tyrrell's knows how to make a good chardonnay.

This one, however, suffers from oak that, whilst not overbearing, is for my taste completely lacking in interest. The rest of the wine is actually quite nice. It's on the fresher side, with lemon and cashew flavours, and refreshing acidity. It is also quite creamy in the mouth, presumably from lees stirring. No malo flavours that I could detect. So in terms of weight, it strikes a nice balance between a new-fashioned lean chardonnay and a butterscotch monster.

But that oak. It's just so boring. It tastes like, well, wood. And, despite the rest of the wine being quite nice, I sort of honed in on the boring wood flavour while drinking, which ruined the wine a bit for me. Still, pretty good value.

No comments: