Wednesday 18 July 2007

Leasingham Bin 7 Riesling 2000

Somewhat ironically, the riesling I've had most success in cellaring (at least in terms of least bottle variation) is a cheapie: Leasingham's Bin 7. I cracked open a 2000 last night from my stash that has not been raided since near to the wine's original release.

This wine is drinking so well right now. I most love riesling when it has developed a range of aged characters but has not lost the elements that make young riesling so much fun to drink (zingy acidity, cleansing primary fruit flavours). The wines seem to me most complex and rewarding at this stage. The Bin 7 had all this going on, showing complexity and balance across its flavours of lime, honey and toast. The wine's acidity brought everything together, being present and wonderfully linear without any harshness. Just a gorgeous, balanced aged riesling that we drank extremely quickly.

I have a 2001 in the fridge that I'm looking forward to trying.

Update: the 2001 was consumed and turned out to be significantly more developed than the 2000, and less interesting overall. It's losing its acid, fast. I'll be drinking my last two 2001s shortly.

No comments: