Wednesday 26 September 2007

Petaluma Hanlin Hill Riesling 2007

I love this wine, generally, and it's been one of my favourite rieslings in the past. I always look forward to its release each year. This 2007 has been getting some great write ups so it was with some eagerness that I popped the top on our bottle tonight.

I'm happy to say that this wine isn't disappointing at all. In fact, I'm seriously impressed. The 2007, or this bottle at least, isn't as explosively fragrant as some previous vintages have been. It does, though, express an enticing floral/slatey aroma, slightly powdery perhaps, certainly attractive. The palate more than makes up for any slight aromatic reticence. A complex flavour profile of citrus blossom, lemon juice and slate explodes in the mouth and is carried the full length of the palate by lively, yet fine, acidity. This riesling sets itself apart from more ordinary examples through both the complexity of its flavour, and its clearly defined structure and mouthfeel. It's like a mixture of the sensuous and the intellectual, well balanced between extremes such that all one's desires as a wine appreciator are met.

I'll be springing for some of this, no question.

3 comments:

Edward said...

Julian,

Have you been able to form any impressions about the 2007 vintage for Clare rieslings as yet? This sounds very promising. Will have to track one down. . .

Julian said...

You know, I haven't tried all that many so far. Just the Petaluma and a slightly disappointing Leo Buring (non-Leonay). I was in the Clare Valley during vintage and the wineries were generally "managing our expectations" with regard to the 2007 wines -- perhaps the Petaluma indicates that yield, rather than quality, was affected? I'll try and few more and find out :)

What has your experience been so far with the wines of this vintage/region?

Edward said...

Julian,

Have not tried any 07 Clares to date - pretty poor performance. Will have to rectify this in the weeks ahead!